Confession. We got new windows in June and we've been living in a fishbowl until now, November 3. That's exactly 5 months later to the day. We finally have window coverings on the whole lower level. The bathroom was done the day of the windows for obvious reasons and the back two bedrooms that we never use already had drapery panels, along with the dining room.
But the living room, the room I wander around in most was open for all to see, especially when the days got darker earlier. I couldn't do draperies in there because of all the furniture below the window and I've always loved the look of roman shades. The thing I didn't love so much was the custom price tag that went with most of them, and they were all in plain material (what fun is that?).
I've been on a pattern kick and decided I didn't really like these store bought tribal style sheers for the office anymore. So I chopped up the 48x84 panels and decided I'd make my own roman shades using this tutorial from Jen Duncan.
As you can tell from this picture, I bought just enough material for the lining, with an inch to spare. Yikes!
I adjusted Jen's measuring system, because my shades were a lot longer than hers.
They lay slightly more relaxed than the tutorials because I didn't add a third line of loop rings up the middle, but I like the casual look of them this way!
As Keith always says when we finish a project, "Alright, this room is done now!". He may actually be right on this one for awhile. I know we'll come up with plenty more to do but for now we can enjoy this space in the evenings without any outside onlookers.
Note, it took me a long time to find a tutorial that I liked and I would highly recommend using Jen's. She made it super easy and didn't skip a step. Let me know if your going to give it a shot, and now that I've followed it too, I can help answer any questions!